Just a simple setup, just put here in case I need it in the future.
Yeah, I’m familiar with Jenkins and it has a bunch of useful utilities to automate my personal workflow, not just a simple build tool, for example, an automated task runner with familiar UI. This instruction is for Ubuntu 18.04 and AWS Lightsail but the same instructions are applied for all other VPS/Cloud services.
Bootstrap the server and install Jenkins
- Create a new VPS on AWS Lightsail, choose an Ubuntu 18.04 server with any specs that you want.
- Optionally: set up swap on the server if you have limited amount of RAM, following this guide
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-space-on-ubuntu-16-04 but this can be done later.
- Some Cloud providers (like AWS Lightsail) offer an extra layer of network security by blocking all the incoming traffic on all ports
(except SSH and HTTP) by default. Since Jenkins will run on port 8080, you need to add that port to the allowed list
- Also add port 443 to the allowed list to set up SSL later
- SSH into the server and run these commands to install Jenkins